Hunt Valley Swim Club, Inc.
Operating Rules and Regulations
Effective January 20, 1987
Revised March 23, 1995
Revised May 23, 1996
Revised April 16, 2005
Revised March 11, 2009
Revised March 8, 2017
- The pool manager or his/her designated representative is responsible for the safe and proper operation of the pool facilities. The manager acts as the agent of your Board of Directors and is empowered to eject from the club premises any person or persons failing to observe proper conduct. Comments or complaints concerning the operation of the swim club should be referred to the Chairman of the Operations Committee.
- Under special circumstances sections of the operating rules and regulations can be temporarily suspended by a quorum of the Board of Directors.
- A bulletin board, which will be under the control of the operations committee, will be maintained only for posting pool and pool-related notices only.
- Neither the swim club nor the pool management is responsible for the personal property of members or guests. Lost articles not claimed at the pool office within seven days may be disposed of at the discretion of the Board of Directors.
B. MEMBERSHIP IDENTIFICATION.
- Resolved that the Board of Directors determines as a policy that membership shall never be available to any person (1) who has been convicted of any offense listed in Virginia Code Sections 18.2-370.2, 18.2-370.3, 18.2-370.4, and/or 18.2-370.5, prohibiting those offenders from proximity to children, and/or (2) is or has been a person required pursuant to Va. Code Sec. 9.1-901 to register on the Sexual Offender and Crimes Against Children Registry. It is further resolved that such persons to whom membership is not available pursuant to this policy shall not be allowed to be present on HVSC property at anytime or at any property during the conduct of any activity of HVSC, regardless of where such activities are conducted.
- Each head of household will update membership data online in their personal account. The following are the required membership data: Member’s name; membership number; address; member type (ex: adult, child, adult child); member’s gender; emergency phone number; names of family members and date of birth of members under 18; date swim test passed. (Note. The requirement for the swim test only applies to children ages 8-12 years old).
- Individual membership cards will be issued and sign-in at the front desk will be required to gain entry to the club. Individual photos will be uploaded to the club’s membership management system for purposes of identification.
- Members may designate supervisory personnel (nanny, sitters, etc.) to accompany their children to the pool. A designated supervisor may not enter the water unless he/she is a HVSC member or registered guest. The designated supervisor must also conform to the age requirements as stated in Section H.
C. SWIMMING AND DIVING LESSONS.
- Swimming and diving lessons require a fee and will be given only by the pool staff.
- Schedules and rates will be posted at the pool.
D. POOL HOURS.
- Pool cleaning and general maintenance. (Pool closed.) 7:00 a.m. – 7:15 a.m. and again from 10:30 a.m. – 11:00 a.m. (Mon-Fri)
10:00 a.m. – 12:00 p.m. (Sun)
- Swim team practice 7:15 a.m. – 10:30 a.m. (Mon-Fri)
- Swim lessons are by appointment, however there will be no lessons given during peak busy times and/or holidays.
- General swimming & diving 11:00 a.m. – 8:50 p.m. (Mon-Sat)
12:00 p.m. – 8:50 p.m. (Sun)
- Swimming competitions See Section E below
- Pool parties are to be coordinated with the Social Activities Chair.
- Social Events, including special nights for adults, teens, or pre-teens, may be established at the discretion of the Board of Directors. Special rules will apply. Whenever it is necessary to close the pool to general swimming because of special events of any kind, a notice to this effect will be posted on the pool bulletin board at least one week in advance.
- The pool will be closed by the pool manager during inclement weather or, if in his/her opinion, a hazardous condition exists.
E. SWIM MEETS.
- The pool will be used for scheduled competitive events.
- Scheduled dates and times for the events will be posted at the pool. Normally swim meets will be held on Saturday mornings and Monday evenings.
- The pool will be closed to general swimming during competitive events and for a reasonable period before and after the events.
- The pool area will be cleared immediately following events for the purpose of making the pool ready for general membership swimming.
F. HEALTH, SAFETY AND GENERAL CONDUCT.
- The following are not allowed in the pools or adjacent areas:
- Chewing gum and chewing tobacco;
- Face masks with breakable lenses;
- Running, pushing, wrestling, and horseplay;
- Litter of any kind including tobacco products;
- Spitting, spouting water or blowing nose in pool;
- Obstruction of doorways and entrance with lawn furniture;
- Smoking or use of other tobacco products.
- In addition to items in Section F. 1. above, the following are also excluded from the pools and adjacent concrete areas and wooden decks:
- glass containers of any kind;
- all food and beverages.
- All bathers must take a shower in the bath house before entering the pool. A foot shower must be taken prior to entering the pool from the grass area.
- Admission will be refused to anyone wearing bandages or with skin abrasions, colds, coughs, extremely inflamed eyes, open sores, infections, excessive sunburn, and/or nasal or ear discharges.
- All injuries occurring on the premises must be reported to the pool manager immediately who will provide a written report to the Operations Chair and the Treasurer..
- Adults and children unable to demonstrate to the lifeguards their ability to swim will be restricted to chest-deep or shallower water. Parents shall make arrangements with the pool manager or his/her designated assistants for children to take the prescribed swim test.
- Any individual that cannot control bodily functions can not go into the main pool without wearing a diaper and plastic liner. County health rules provide that when pool contamination of this type occurs, the pool may have to be drained and refilled. This requirement may, therefore, render the pool unusable for three or four days and cost several hundred dollars in water and chemicals. Also, children not completely toilet trained must wear rubber pants when using the wading pool.
- Life jackets checked by a lifeguard for proper fit and adjustment may be permitted at the pool manager’s discretion.
- Life rings, small rafts, fins and face masks may be permitted at the pool manager’s discretion. Soft toys may be permitted at the pool manager’s discretion.
- Cut-off jeans and other street clothing will not be allowed in the pool.
- The pool manager has the authority to rope off certain areas of the pool and restrict the use of these areas to certain activities.
- Lounge chairs are available on a first-come first-served basis. Chairs vacated for periods in excess of 15 minutes are automatically available to those waiting. Chairs and tables are not to be used for storing personal effects. Chairs and lounges are to be picked up by frames, not the straps.
- All members and guests shall respect the property rights of homeowners in the immediate neighborhood of the pool. Do not use lawns for short-cuts or in any way violate the rights of others. Violation can result in suspension of swimming privileges.
- Broadcasting devices should be kept to a moderate volume as determined by the pool manager.
- The Fairfax County Police and Fire Departments are authorized to enter the pool premises at any time and exercise the same authority as in any public place.
- Alcoholic beverages in non-glass containers are permitted on club property during authorized adult parties or small gatherings after 6pm as long as appropriate behavior is maintained.
- Unlawful drugs are never permitted. Violation is grounds for suspension.
- Abusive, offensive, or profane language will not be permitted on the club property. Violation is grounds for suspension.
- Unauthorized persons entering the pool area will be considered trespassers. Trespassers and vandals will be subject to criminal and civil prosecution to the full extent of the law.
G. SLIDE AND DIVING RULES.
- Only one person may be on the slide, ladder, or diving board at a time.
- Diving is prohibited until the previous diver has cleared the area below the board and reached the ladder.
- Diving is permitted off the front end of the board only.
- Members 10 through 12 years old may attend he pool unaccompanied by a parent or a designated supervisor until 6:00 p.m., provided they have passed a prescribed swim test as defined by the pool manager. Once a child has passed the swim test at HVSC, the said child does not have to retake the test the following year, provided that records are maintained. If a parent wishes to deny a child entrance to the pool, a statement to that effect must be submitted to the pool office.
- Members under 10 years of age, and those members 10 through 12 who have not qualified as swimmers, and all members 12 years of age and under attending the pool after 6:00 p.m., must be accompanied at the pool by a parent or designated supervisor. The designation of a supervisor must be made by a parent of the child being supervised and the supervisor must be 15 years of age or older.
- All members under 10 years of age, and those members 10 through 12 who have not qualified as swimmers, must be under the direct supervision and within “arms-reach” of a parent or designated supervisor at all times that the child is within the HVSC facility, including the deck, restrooms, grounds, and parking lot, as well as the pool.
- To prevent over-fatigue, a minimum 15-minute rest period, to start every hour on the 45 hour for children under 16 years of age, will be observed in the main pool. The pool manager has the authority to vary the length of this rest period and/or to provide additional rest periods.
- Children over the age of 6 will not be allowed in the wading pool.
I. PARKING LOT.
- Maximum speed limit is 10 miles per hour. Pedestrians and bicyclists always have the right of way.
- Bicyclists must use the area provided for parking bicycles.
- Children shall not be summoned by blowing car horns.
- The parking lot is intended for the parking of members and pool staff vehicles and only during the use of club facilities.
J. GUEST REGULATIONS.
- Authorized guests are those who, after having been initially registered at the gate by a club member prior to utilizing any club facility and having paid appropriate “Guest Charges” are escorted and supervised by a club member at all times while utilizing club facilities. (Guests 12 years of age or younger must be accompanied at all times by a club member 13 years of age or older.)
- Guests are subject to the same rules and regulations as club members, and since club members assume full responsibility for any guest, any infraction of the HVSC Rules and Regulations by a guest could result in the responsible club member being penalized.
- Guest privileges may be temporarily restricted at certain times to preclude overcrowding of the facilities. Notice of such restriction will be posted at the gate.
- “Guest Charges” collected for guests who are subsequently determined to not be authorized guests are not refundable.
- “Guest Charges” are refundable only when club facilities must be closed by the management at times other than normal closing times, and then only if the club facilities are closed for more than 50% of the time for which a guest pass has been issued, at which time, if requested, an appropriate pro-rata refund will be made.
- No private parties are allowed at the HVSC without the specific approval and coordination of the Social Chair with the approval of the Board of Directors depending on the number in attendance.
K. GUEST CHARGES.
- Guest Passes – Guest charges will be covered by obtaining a guest pass. Guest passes will be sold at the front desk. Guest pass fees are 10 passes for $40 or a single pass for $5. Guests will be required to sign in at the front desk. Guest passes will be maintained through the on-line membership system.
- A limit of 4 passes will be sold to each member each season. Passes will remain valid from one season to the next. A waiver of the limit may be obtained through the Social Chair.
- All guests must be accompanied by a member in good standing.